The late David Ford assists an unknown customer at Ford’s Market in this photo that appeared with the grocery store’s ad in the 1968 Gainesville High School yearbook, the Bulldogger. The market opened in 1906; its closing was announced in a 1980 news item shared in this week’s Times Past (below).
Ozark County Times
Oct. 4, 1912
Joe Champieux, the new blacksmith, has installed a telephone in his place of business for the benefit of his patrons.
Rockbridge – The new schoolhouse at Souder will soon be completed.
Several from here attended the ball game Saturday. Pine Creek beat Almartha. Don...
Guffey Motors -
These photos from the 1960s hang on the walls of the former Brad Guffey Chevrolet office in Gainesville. They show the company’s 1964 wrecker when it was new and the company’s salesmen standing in front of a 1972 Chevrolet in the showroom: from left, Wilbur Cowart, Brad Guffey, Joe McFarland and T. J. White. The company, now Guffey Motors, is owned by Brad’s son Bob and his wife, Deb.
Ozark County News
April 29, 1897
Measles are making the rounds in the vicinity of Bakersfield, Moody and other localities of the eastern part of the county. We learned of some deaths as a result of the sickness.
We are reliably informed that the wife of Prof. Etherage of Howell county recently died...